Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Best Sugar Cookies EVER!!

Alright Ladies (and gentlemen if there are any who read or bake...) I am about to give out the softest sugar cookie recipe... they are delicious. Now for those of you who like to go to the grocery store and just buy the refrigerated cookie dough, this may be a little tougher for you, but they are easy~~they just take time, but don't most good things take time??? Ok so here goes:

Aunt Yvonne's (previously belonging to a great-grandma Opal) Sugar Cookies

Cookie Ingredients:
  • 5 cups Flour
  • 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • 1 cup crisco
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS FOR COOKIES:

  • In a large bowl combine the flour and baking powder and set aside.
  • In a small bowl (or mixer) combine the buttermilk and baking soda until it bubbles.
  • In another bowl, mix sugar, crisco, and eggs. After they are combined, add with the buttermilk mixture. Then add the vanilla.
  • Finally, add in the flour mixture.
  • Refrigerate for at least one hour - I usually let it refrigerate overnight but you dont have to. You just want it to be firm enough to roll out.
  • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
  • Roll out the dough to about a 1/4" thickness...you want them to be sort of thick. Cut out cookies.
  • Bake for about 10 minutes...you don't want them to brown at all... they are done when they are still white, but completely cooked through... this is what keeps them soft!! So make sure you keep an eye on them anytime after 9 mins!
  • Cool, Frost, and ENJOY!!

FROSTING

Frosting Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar (about half a bag)
  • 1/2 cup crisco
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 5 tbspn water
Frosting Directions:

  • Heat water and regular sugar in a saucepan until it bubbles.
  • Mix together the powdered sugar and crisco.
  • When sugar/water is cooled (you can put it in the freezer to speed up) add it to the crisco mixture.
  • Beat until well blended then either use it white or seperate it into small bowls and color with food coloring.
  • The frosting is super-sweet, but it is a great compliment to the cookie!!
IF YOU MAKE THESE, LET ME KNOW HOW THEY TURN OUT AND YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THEM!!! ENJOY!!!!!!

p.s. I got permission from my mother-in-law to give out this recipe... my hubby thought that it should be kept a secret... but I wanted to share it!!! Have fun!!

Until the next post,
Hollie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes our Fabry men LOVE these cookies! I remeber the first time I ate them and I thought they tasted raw! They grew on me and now I LOVE them! I haven't made them since last Christmas! Love how you made them into pumpkins!

Love the new look of the blog:)

Jenna said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. Since I don't feel like gaining 6 pounds today, I'm not making them but I'm definataly writing it down for Thanksgiving/Christmas!!

Cayden's 1st Birthday Ticker!!!

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker